Wednesday 16 April 2014

My mini Rhinoplasty story


I am a female of Filipino origins so an aquiline nose came with the package sort of speak. Luckily in my case it wasn’t that pronounced but in the sixth grade I tripped and fell leaving me with an unsightly bump in the middle of the nose. At first I wasn’t that conscious or aware of the bump but as I aged it became more and more apparent to me that I needed to do something to get rid of it.  Without even realizing it I had become self-conscious about my profile and avoided getting snapped for close up pics which would display my unsightly nose bump.


To remedy the situation I started searching online for a solution. I was aware of Rhinoplasty and how it specifically dealt with nose problems but didn’t know exact details. Upon doing some research which entailed reading various online blog, personal experiences and consulting different websites of surgeons performing Rhinoplasty I came to the conclusion that it wasn’t best suited for my particular case. I had almost given up hope of ever getting rid of the asymmetrical bump sitting in the middle of my nose and the prospect made me distraught. It was then I came across the website of a cosmetic surgeon offering mini Rhinoplasty. At first I was apprehensive because it was after Rhinoplasty but on reading further I realized that it’s very different from traditional Rhinoplasty.

Firstly, mini Rhinoplasty is noninvasive and doesn’t require the patient to be put under using anesthetics. The process entails injecting the trouble area of the nose with hyaluronic acid based dermal fillers which rectify a number of issues like my unsightly bump, giving flat nasal bridge a raise and balancing the overall size of the nose so it would look appropriate in proportion with the face. It all sounded very very enticing and tailor made for my situation and the best thing was that I would be awake during the procedure and have it done according to my preferences. I wanted to have the surgery done right away but the cosmetic surgeon insisted that we do a pre-op consultation first.

During the consultation the surgeon was very forthcoming explaining to me the procedure in details, asking me about my expectations and preferences. According to him mini Rhinoplasty was specifically created to address aesthetic asymmetry of the nose. It cannot correct functional problems. After the consultation (which I found extremely helpful) we scheduled next day for the procedure. Another prime advantage of mini Rhinoplasty is that it only takes half an hour! There’s absolutely no downtime and no lengthy stay in the hospital is required.

The fateful day finally arrived and I sat in the patient’s chair while the good doctor injected my nose with the dermal fillers. The sensation I felt was akin to slight feeling of getting stung which was entirely tolerable.  The process was over before I knew it with the doctor smiling and telling me that it was done. I did observe slight redness and puffiness on my nose but the doctor assured me that it would go away in a day. The results started to show very quickly and I almost got teary eyed seeing the bump, the bane of existence gone! The doctor however told me that dermal fillers being made from hyaluronic acids would be eventually absorbed by the body which means that the change wasn’t permanent. It would last 6-12 months and I would have to come back for maintenance sessions at that point. Considering what I had read about Rhinoplasty and revision surgery that follows in its wake I was very open to the idea of getting injected again after the effects wear off.

Relying on my personal experience with mini Rhinoplasty I would definitely recommend it for everyone having the same problem as mine irrespective of gender to opt for it. Its definitely worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.